Chicken MarsalaPrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces proscitto, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced thick
- 3 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 Calabrian Chili peppers (from the jar)
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry Marsala wine (get the good stuff! The REAL stuff! Not just the cooking wine!)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh Italian parsley (flat leaf) (optional, it's for serving presentation!)
Cut chicken breasts lengthwise, (knife parallel with the cutting board), in half (2 breasts make 4 breasts)
Place each breast in plastic bag (or cover with plastic wrap) and pound with flat side of meat mallet until thin.
Heat oil over medium heat until smoky.
Combine the flour, salt and pepper for dredging
Dredge both sides of chicken in seasoned flour and place into hot oil, frying each side about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
Lower heat, add the sliced prosciutto, saute for 1-2 minutes until starting to crisp. (may need to add more EVOO if too dry at this point)
Next, add sliced mushrooms, stirring and cooking 4-5 minutes, until caramelized and golden brown, and their moisture has evaporated.
Add chili peppers, minced shallots and garlic to the mushrooms, cooking and stirring another 2-3 minutes, careful not to burn the garlic.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the chicken stock, Marsala, heavy cream and thyme, scraping bits from bottom of pan.
Gently boil, uncovered, until reduced by half (10-15 minutes).
Add chicken back to the pan (along with the savory juices from their pan). Reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken has warmed through and sauce thickens a little bit more (2-3 minutes). Transfer to serving platter alone, or over whole wheat spaghetti. Sprinkle with roughly chopped parsley.